I don’t think there’s anything I enjoy more about December than the inevitable “best of insert year here” lists that pop up. Oh wait there is one thing I enjoy more – collating the lists myself!
Here in the Copywriting department, we love poring over the exciting offerings from companies across the world and so we’ve compiled a list of what we think are the Top 10 Creative Videos from companies in 2013.
Some are clever, some are funny and some are downright astounding (here’s looking at you Volvo). While your marketing budget might not stretch to include Jean Claude Van Damme riding atop trucks, these videos still show you what’s possible when you combine the awesome powers of video, the internet and a little left-of-centre thinking.
10. LG: LG Ultra HD 84” TV Prank
– A very sharable example of the stunning visuals delivered by the Korean company’s new TV.
9. Evian: Baby & Me
– While being borderline creepy, this weird ad notched up an impressive 67 million views after being launched in April.
8. Audi: Zachary Quinto vs. Leonard Nimoy: “The Challenge”
This copywriter found out about this chuckle-worthy video from her Star Trek loving Dad. And if Star Trek loving dads are sharing it, you know it’s hit the nail on the head.
7. CarrieNYC: Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise
– The marketers of the 2013 recreation of Carrie created a unique way to build online excitement about the film and manage to terrify some NYC coffee-shop goers in the process.
6. Dove: Dove Real Beauty Sketches
– A simple, but heart-breakingly effective message is delivered in this video which was shared by women and men across the globe.
5. PooPourri: Girls Don’t Poop
– While the Copywriting Department debated if this product was for real, this video was quietly racking up 20 million views.
4. WestJet: WestJet Christmas Miracle: real-time giving
– A late entry just in time for Christmas, this video demonstrates how easily a video can go viral when you tug at people’s heartstrings – 16 million views in three days ain’t bad.
3. Virgin America: Virgin America Safety Video
– Way to reinvent the wheel Virgin America! I’m going to think about this video every single time I’m on a plane now and wish I was on a Virgin America flight instead.
2. Kmart: Ship My Pants
– Got some news you want to let your customers know about? Make a funny video and get YouTube to do the work for you! Kmart did and boy oh boy did this video get a workout in the Copywriting Department.
1. Volvo Trucks: Volvo Trucks – The Epic Split feat. Van Damme (Live Test 6)
– Just watch it. Like right now.